OLE DB provider 'MSIDXS' reported an error. Access denied.
Hilary Cotter
2004-09-21 01:36:10 UTC
The correct linked server command should be this

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver Web,
'Index Server',
'MSIDXS',
'CarenetWeb'

where CarenetWeb is a catalog on the local server.

You can't build a linked server to a remote IS catalog, but you can query it
like this

Select * from openquery(LinkedServerName,'Select DocTitle, Vpath,
Characterization from RemoteServerName.RemoteCatalogName..Scope() where
FileName like ''%.txt''')

Try the above and see if this solves your problem.
Not sure if I should post here of inetserver.indexserver, so I apologize
ahead of time.
In Sql2000, I've added a linked server to a development box.
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver Web,
'Index Server',
'MSIDXS',
'stjoedev01.CarenetWeb'
I ran the same command on my local Sql box.
When I execute this query
Select * from OpenQuery(web, 'Select DocTitle, vpath, Filename, Size,
Contents, characterization, PATH, URL, A_Href, rank, write
from stjoedev01.CarenetWeb..Scope(''"d:\Inetpub\"'')
where FREETEXT(Contents, ''adoption'') AND Rank > 50 order by rank desc,
write desc')
on my local box I get a result set. When I excute the same query on the
Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'MSIDXS' reported an error. Access denied.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: Invalid catalog name 'CARENETWEB'.
SQLSTATE=42000 ]
OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSIDXS' ICommandPrepare::Prepare
returned 0x80070005: Access denied.].
In both cases the query analyzer session is logged in with dbo access.
I've
checked the file system catalog and "Everyone" has read/write access to
the
index files.
The development sql instance is running under a local system account. My
local instance of sql server is running under a domain user account. Would
this account for the 'access denied'?
My ultimate goal is to add a linked server to a production SQL box, but
it's
looking rather grim right now.
Thanks for the help,
Barry
Hilary Cotter
2004-09-21 17:32:25 UTC
can you query the local IS server?

Also what rights does the SQL Server agent have on the remote server? Is the
account the SQL Server agent runs under in the local admin group on the
remote server?
--
Hilary Cotter
Looking for a SQL Server replication book?
Barry
Barry Forrest
2004-09-21 21:09:05 UTC
On the Sql Box I can use the query form of IS manager and get results. I can
execute the openquery against the local catalog without receiving the invalid
catalog error, but I don't get any results returned.

The Sql Server Agent runs under a domain account, which is a member of the
remote server's Administrators group.
Barry
Hilary Cotter
2004-09-23 11:15:04 UTC
Its puzzling that you don't get any hits from the local catalog. Can you
check 1) the IS server is running locally. 2) the catalog is indexing
diriectories, expand the directories folder and verify there are directories
there 3) the directories indexed are both real and virtual (the virtual
directories have blue globes on them), 4) there are documents in the
physical directories.

Also can you try this code agains your remote catalog - make sure you change
this entry to reflect your actual remote server name and catalog

@objIxsso, 'catalog', 'query://remoteservername.remotecatalogname'

create procedure sp_indexServer @input char(255)
as
declare @HResult int
declare @objIxsso int
declare @RecordSet int
declare @recordCount int
declare @Count int
declare @fields int
declare @path varchar(100)
declare @vpath varchar(100)
declare @doctitle varchar(100)
declare @size varchar(100)
declare @filename varchar(100)
declare @write varchar(100)
declare @rank varchar(100)
declare @hitcount varchar(100)
--
EXEC @HResult = sp_OACreate 'Ixsso.query', @objIxsso Out
EXEC @HResult = sp_OASetProperty @objIxsso, 'Query', @input
EXEC @HResult = sp_OASetProperty
@objIxsso, 'catalog', 'query://remoteservername.remotecatalogname'
EXEC @HResult = sp_OASetProperty @objIxsso, 'Columns', _
'path, vpath, doctitle,size,filename,write,rank,hitcount'
EXEC @HResult = sp_OASetProperty
@objIxsso, 'MaxRecords', '200'
EXEC @HResult = sp_OASetProperty @objIxsso, 'SortBy', 'rank
[d]'
IF @HResult <> 0
BEGIN
EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @objIxsso
RETURN
END
exec @HResult =sp_OAMethod @objIxsso,_
'CreateRecordSet("nonsequential")',@recordSet OUTPUT
IF @HResult <> 0
BEGIN
EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @objIxsso
RETURN
END
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty
@recordSet, 'RecordCount',_
@RecordCount output
IF @HResult <> 0
BEGIN
EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @recordset
RETURN
END
if @recordcount =0
print 'No matches found'
else
begin
print convert (varchar(5),@recordcount) +' matches found'
SET @Count = 1
WHILE ( @Count <= @RecordCount )
BEGIN
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields', _
@fields out,0
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', _
@path output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields', _
@fields out,1
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', _
@vpath output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields', _
@fields out,2
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', _
@doctitle output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields', _
@fields out,3
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', _
@size output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields', _
@fields out,4
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', _
@filename output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields',
@fields out,5
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', @write
output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields',
@fields out,6
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value', @rank
output
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @RecordSet, 'fields',
@fields out,7
EXEC @HResult = sp_OAGetProperty @fields, 'Value',
@hitcount output
print @path +', ' +@vpath+', '+@doctitle+', '+@size +', '+_
@filename +', '+@write+', '+@rank+', '+@hitcount
EXEC @HResult =sp_OAMethod @RecordSet, 'MoveNext'
select @count=@Count+1
END
print @count
EXEC @HResult = sp_OADestroy @fields
IF @HResult <> 0
BEGIN
EXEC sp_OAGetErrorInfo @fields
RETURN
END
END
EXEC @HResult = sp_OADestroy @recordset
EXEC @HResult = sp_OADestroy @objIxsso
Post by Hilary Cotter
ahead of time.
In Sql2000, I've added a linked server to a development box.
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver Web,
'Index Server',
'MSIDXS',
'stjoedev01.CarenetWeb'
I ran the same command on my local Sql box.
When I execute this query
Select * from OpenQuery(web, 'Select DocTitle, vpath,
Filename,
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
Size,
Post by Hilary Cotter
write desc')
on my local box I get a result set. When I excute the same query
on
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
the
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
Post by Hilary Cotter
the
index files.
The development sql instance is running under a local system
account.
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
My
Post by Hilary Cotter
local instance of sql server is running under a domain user
account.
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
Would
Post by Hilary Cotter
this account for the 'access denied'?
My ultimate goal is to add a linked server to a production SQL
box,
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
but
Barry
Barry Forrest
2004-09-23 16:23:09 UTC
The lack of hits from the local catalog was due to a bad keyboard driver. I
didn't change the scope of the query.

The permissions path you pointed me to seems to be the solution. I connected
to the Sql box with a Sql user account and was able to execute the query.
When I connect to the Sql box with windows credentials I get the invalid
catalog, access denied combination error.

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Barry
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
on the SQL box and I'm now getting the dreaded
Invalid catalog name 'CARENETWEB'. SQLSTATE=42000
The biggest problem is I haven't a clue what I'm doing, so thanks
again
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
for
the help.
Barry
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
ahead of time.
In Sql2000, I've added a linked server to a development box.
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver Web,
'Index Server',
'MSIDXS',
'stjoedev01.CarenetWeb'
I ran the same command on my local Sql box.
When I execute this query
Select * from OpenQuery(web, 'Select DocTitle, vpath,
Filename,
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
Size,
Post by Hilary Cotter
write desc')
on my local box I get a result set. When I excute the same query
on
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
the
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
Post by Hilary Cotter
the
index files.
The development sql instance is running under a local system
account.
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
My
Post by Hilary Cotter
local instance of sql server is running under a domain user
account.
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
Would
Post by Hilary Cotter
this account for the 'access denied'?
My ultimate goal is to add a linked server to a production SQL
box,
Post by Barry Forrest
Post by Hilary Cotter
but
Barry
Luca Gnezda
2004-09-30 04:22:06 UTC
Hi Barry,

Could you please elaborate on how you got the openquery to work, and the
SQL user account credentials used.

I am currently struggling with the same problem you specified. However I
am already using SQL server authentication instead of windows
authentication.

I am stumped.
Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Luca

Barry Forrest
2004-09-30 13:53:07 UTC
Using the Management console on the Sql box I created a catalog with the same
name as the remote catalog that I wished to query.

Using Query analyzer connected to the Sql server I executed a sp_addlinked
server:
EXEC sp_addlinkedserver FileSystem,
'Index Server',
'MSIDXS',
'CatalogName'

In the Sql Management console, under Security --> Linked Servers
-->Properties, I set the Security tab option to "Be made using this security
context:" and assigned a domain account that is a member of the local
Administrators group on the remote server where the queried catalog resides.

Then constructed a query like this:
SELECT DocTitle, vpath, Filename, Size, Contents, characterization, PATH,
URL, A_Href, rank, write
FROM RemoteServer.CatalogName..SCOPE(''" + this.Scope + "'')
Where FREETEXT(Contents,''" SearchPhrase"'')

Which I was able to then execute while connected with a sql account that was
a db_owner.

Hope that Helps,

Barry
Luca Gnezda
2004-10-01 05:01:21 UTC
Thanks very much Barry.

My environment reflects your setup, unfortunately it doesn't work.
However I have found that the excact same setup, using a pair of 2003
Servers instead of the 2000 servers works perfectly.

I suspect that I have incorrect versions of service packs, or some other
install/patch conflicting with the 2000 server setup.

I will continue playing with versions to find the root cause. Once again
thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards,
Luca

CreamyGoodness
2004-10-27 08:48:04 UTC
[B]my code is mostly based on 'this page' (http://tinyurl.com/5a65g)
Code
-------------------
Dim connString As String = "Provider=MSIDXS.1;Integrated Security .='';Data Source='" & strCatalog & "'"
(strCatalog is set to a local catalog name)
SELECT Filename,Size,directory,create fr0m 127.0.0.2.catalogname....scope() WHERE directory LIKE '%" & strSearch & "%'"
-------------------
[/B]
seriously, this server is a piece of crap
i have to put four dots to get two to appear, and if i write selec
fr0m with an o instead of a 0 it crashes the server... real slick
and it insists on breaking words apart in some lame attempt o
formatting, yet it somehow missed that one line in my previou
post...... (6 dots)

p.s. sorry about the double post, somehow in the 15 times i submitte
it, or at least TRIED to, i must have clicked the wrong thing

-
CreamyGoodnes
John Kane
2004-10-27 16:28:24 UTC
CreamyGoodness,
As you've indicated, you code is based upon KB article Q820983 "HOW TO: Use
an ASP.NET Application to Query an Indexing Service Catalog by Using Visual
C# .NET", you best and fastest way to get a detailed response is to post
your Indexing Service question to the
microsoft.public.inetserver.indexserver newsgroup.

Regards,
John
--------------------
Post by CreamyGoodness
--------------------
[/B]
seriously, this server is a piece of crap
i have to put four dots to get two to appear, and if i write select
fr0m with an o instead of a 0 it crashes the server... real slick
and it insists on breaking words apart in some lame attempt of
formatting, yet it somehow missed that one line in my previous
post...... (6 dots)
p.s. sorry about the double post, somehow in the 15 times i submitted
CreamyGoodness
2004-10-27 08:27:19 UTC
i have a similar problem to the one here
at least i'm getting the same error, minus the access denied part
i spent like an hour and a half typing in all the details and hit repl
and got PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED and no amount of hitting back o
refresh will get my text back...

anyhow i'm trying to query a remote server thats not on my LAN o
DOMAIN or anything like that, just another computer on the internet.
figured it must be possible, somehow
i got file sharing to work using the software and instructions 'here
(http://www.bitvise.com/file-sharing.html)

my code works fine for querying the local indexing service
if i change the query string to reference the remote server i get th
Invalid catalog name 'xxxx'.
SQLSTATE=42000 error.

if you reference the local server by exact ip or computer name it work
fine, just using the remote ip or any made up ip gives that same error.

i thought it was a connection problem, but i downloaded the progra
'here' (http://www.aimingtech.com/search_lan.htm) and when i pu
query://127.0.0.2/catalogname and do a search it says theres no file
found but it must be connecting because if i change the ip o
catalogname it gets a different error... the catalog name and the shar
name are the same but i don't see why that would be a problem
if i put my own ip and catalog name into it the same way it says there
no results if i don't bother filling in the folder field, maybe thats
clue

if anyone has any ideas please let me know, or if u know of any 3r
party software that can index file and directory names and i
searchable from a web interface... this indexing server is really slo
on wildcard searches anyways

thanks in advanc

-
CreamyGoodnes
CreamyGoodness
2004-10-27 08:40:11 UTC
my code is mostly based on 'this page' (http://tinyurl.com/5a65g)
and heres the two lines someone is likely to ask for:

Code

Dim connString As String = "Provider=MSIDXS.1;Integrated Security .='';Data Source='" & strCatalog & "'"
(strCatalog is set to a local catalog name)

SELECT scope

Barry Forrest